FORGIVENESS is the means by which damaged relationships are restored. It is an act of the will, motivated by love. For Christians, Jesus’ death on the cross is the ultimate revelation of God’s forgiving love, and his sacrifice stands as a source of inspiration to forgive others, no matter what the cost. Forgiveness is fundamental to the character of God. Throughout the Bible, God is described as slow to anger, abounding in love and forgiving sin. (Number 14:18) Jesus told his followers that they must forgive and keep on forgiving without limit.
Prayer for Forgiveness
We thank you that you are a loving heavenly father, who, when we have done or said wrong things, are always ready to forgive us when we ask you and we are ready to put things right. We ask you to help us as well to forgive others when they do wrong to use.
We read stories from The Bible to explore Forgiveness:
- The Prodigal Son
- The unforgiving Servant
- The Lost Sheep
- Two Debtors
- The Lost Coin
- Jacob and Esau (Genesis 25, 27, 32, 33)
- Joseph (Genesis 37-50)- Forgiveness Among Brothers
- David and Mephibosheth (2 Samuel 9)
- Matthew 18:21-35The Message (MSG)
- The denial of Jesus by Peter (Matthew 26:26-69, John 21:15-17; 1 Peter 3:8-9, 4:8)