Strike a Pose – 25.5.2020
Hello St Georges
Please feel free to try out the following Yoga Poses. We hope you are enjoying our Yoga series.
Bridge (Benefits: Strength and Stretch)
Bridge Pose strengthens the legs, back, glutes while opening the chest and lungs. For this pose it helps to visualise a drawbridge and a boat needing to pass underneath.
What to do:
Lie down on your back with your arms by your sides and your hands palms down.
- Bend your knees and place your feet flat on the floor, hip distance apart.
- Keeping your shoulders and feet flat on the floor, lift your hips as high as you can.
- Lift your chest up to arch your spine. For an extra challenge, try shimmying your shoulders back and walk your elbows in to clasp your hands together.
- Breathe in and out slowly three or five times.
- Now let’s lower the bridge. Exhale as you gently bring your hips back down to the floor.
- Rest and repeat this sequence a few times.
- When you’re finished, pull your knees into your chest and rock from side to side to massage and rest your lower back.
Butterfly (Benefits: Strengthen and Stretch)
Butterfly can help open the hips and stretch the inner thighs. If your child has tight hips, have her sit on a folded blanket so that her hips are above her legs and feet. For the most benefit, encourage your child to sit up tall, while practicing Butterfly Pose.
What to do:
- Sit up tall and bring the bottoms of your feet together to form your butterfly wings.
- Breathing in, lift your knees. Breathing out, lower your knees.
- Continue to breathe and flap your wings for one minute.
Eagle (Benefits – Balance, Focus, Strength and Stretch)
Eagle Pose has many benefits, including developing balance, co-ordination, and focus, stretching the shoulders and upper back, and strengthening the legs, knees and ankles.
What to do:
- Start in Mountain Pose. Find your focus point.
- Extend your left arm and cross it over right arm. Bend at your elbows and wrap your forearms together, bringing the palms of your hands together.
- Shift your weight to your left foot and bend your knees slightly.
- Wrap your right leg over your left. Keep your toes on the floor, or if you are feeling balanced, challenge yourself by drawing your foot around and behind your left leg.
- Balance in Eagle Pose and breathe in and out several times.
- When you are ready, inhale and stretch your arms and legs out wide to soar like an eagle before exhaling back to Mountain Pose. Switch sides and repeat.
Enjoy. Stay safe and well. xxx